A tiny corner of my heart waited for its dearest one to love.
No sincerely wanted children of mine came to claim it.
Though my sweet nieces and nephews reside in my heart elsewhere.
I leant my heart to friends in need, and with doing quiet good deeds.
But still, this corner of my heart wanted its own resident. [(1)]
And though my cherished lover claims the lion’s share of my heart,
This tiny corner of my heart
Lay waiting for its own fulfillment.
With hope, I waited for someone who would inspire me. [(2)]
Someone who would spark passions anew in me.
I first saw you from afar,
Looking confident, strong, and in command. [(3)]
Your demeanor demanded respect from others,
And you received it–including from me.
My heart nodded its acknowledgement to you.
And then, you smiled one day.
Yours was a small smile, with barely curled lips.
The shy smile of a private man, [(4)]
A man not given to public displays of himself.
And a tiny corner of my heart was forever yours.
The more I saw of you, the more my regard for you deepened.
With fearlessness you bared your soul to me and to others.
Would I see the confident man today?
Or perhaps the brave and honorable man?
Or would you reveal to me the tragic tortured man? Or someone new?
And though I will never truly know you, [(8)]
Nor will you truly know me,
Each of us keeping private that which only ourselves know,
I do not mind this impassable gulf between us.
I find a comfort in it, a cushioned softness from rejection for my tender heart.
In keeping my sincere love for you tucked silently away in my heart,
You are esteemed and valued and loved for you, in all your incarnations.
And I wish you every happiness that you wish for yourself.
Without knowing it, you have claimed me, and I am yours forever,
In a tiny corner of my heart. [(9)]
(1) Open Heart Locket by Adin Antique Jewelry (2011). Image found at http://images.adin-antique-jewelry.com/low/09360-4382.P01.JPG
(2) Flowers by Linda Knorr Shafer (2011). Image found at http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-small/victorian-romance-linda-knorr-shafer.jpg
(3) John Thornton, as portrayed by Richard Armitage, meeting Margaret Hale in North & South, episode 1, picture 26 (2004). BBC. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/nands/album/episode1/slides/ns1-026.html
(4) John Standring, as portrayed by Richard Armitage, smiling at Carol Bolton in Sparkhouse, episode3, picture 23 (2002). BBC. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/sparkhouse/album/Episode3/slides/SH3_023.html
(5) Sir Guy of Gisborne, as portrayed by Richard Armitage, in Robin Hood series3, episode 5, picture 84 (2009). BBC. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/RobinHood/album/seasonthree/Episodefive/slides/5_084.html
(6) John Porter, as portrayed by Richard Armitage, in Chris Ryan’s Strike Back series 1, episode 2, picture 62 (2010). Sky 1. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/StrikeBack/album/series1/Episode2HD/slides/ep2hd_062.html
(7) Lucas North, as portrayed by Richard Armitage, in Spooks series 9, episode 8, picture 35 (2010). BBC. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Spooks/Spooks9/album/episode8hd/album/slides/8_35.html
(8) Richard Armitage attending the New York City premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger (for his role portraying spy Heinz Kruger) July 20, 2011. Screencap image courtesy of RANet. http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Richard/EventsandAppearances/NYCScreening-20July2011/album/slides/NYC-17.html
(9) Heart shaped locket by Lang Antiques (2011). Image found at http://www.langantiques.com/images/external/90/1228499855_Victorian_Heart_Shaped_Locket_Main_View90-1-1500.jpg