I have logged many hours writing Facebook comments or writing blog essays about how wonderful the exquisitely talented British actor Richard Armitage will be portraying Thorin Oakenshield in the upcoming The Hobbit films–An Unexpected Journey (2012), and There and Back Again (2013). Mr. Armitage exudes the fierce warrior like and regal qualities of Thorin, even in his photo shoots. [(1) right]
My previous comments were solely based on my knowing and appreciating the range of Mr. Armitage’s transformative acting and story telling talents from experiencing his earlier artistic projects–since we had no Hobbit film footage to go on, just production stills mostly. For other essays of mine detailing some of Mr. Armitage’s artistic projects and his other searing character portrayals, just type his name into my blog’s search engine to find dozens of examples of his varied character portrayals and his prolific body of work.
But even my words failed me when I viewed The Hobbit movie trailer last week in stunned awe for how lushly painterly the movie appears in general and how vivid Richard Armitage as the mythic leader of the Dwarfs Thorin Oakenshield and the cast appear in particular. Could another man with hair longer than mine, fur battle clothes, and looking back from astride his horse stun us with our first glimpse of him more than Richard Armitage did in The Hobbit movie trailer last week? I think not. Simply put, Richard Armitage looks commanding and magnificent as Thorin Oakenshield! [(2) below]
Once again Richard Armitage has immersed himself in a role so completely that we only see the character he is portraying, and not the man/Richard behind it. This talent of Mr. Armitage’s to transform himself into his characters as embodiments of real human beings–or Dwarfs in this case–is remarkable and mysterious. Few actors and storytellers can achieve the level of authenticity that Richard Armitage does with his character portrayals–and we marvel at his chameleon like acting abilities.
To get a fore taste of Thorin and the rest of the cast of characters featured in The Hobbit movie trailer, here is that movie trailer link again, courtesy of bccmee2 [(3) below]:
And be sure to visit her blog page bccmee’s Richard Armitage Vids & Graphics about The Hobbit movie trailer, because her blog also contains a transcript of it at [(4) below]
When I listen again and again to the Misty Mountains Cold song that leads off with Richard Armitage’s velvety deep baritone voice, my heart stops and time stands still with the beautiful hymn like tone of the Dwarfs singing. It is so mesmirizing. I have listened to the song so many times now, I have lost count.
Bccmee also created a beautiful music video showcasing the Misty Mountain song and visualizing its imagery for us. She shared her video with everyone on her blog bccmee’s Richard Armitage Vids & Graphics yesterday (12/28/11). But she made such a wonderful video, it deserves to be shared again. So, here is Bccmee’s video “The Hobbit – Misty Mountain Song Music Video with Lyrics”. Enjoy! [(5) below]
I can’t wait to have Mr. Armitage, Sir Peter Jackson, and all of the cast, crew, and production team tell us the story of, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey December 2012), and The Hobbit: There and Back Again (December 2013). [(6) below]
And Richard Armitage will be brilliant portraying Thorin Oakenshield–redefining the character for us for all time–shock and awe people, shock and awe. [(7) below]
(1) Portrait of the British actor Richard Armitage from the July 2011 Project Magazine photoshoot was found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Richard/Promos/ProjectMagJuly2011/album/slides/MattHolyoak-07.html
(2) Image of Thorin Oakenshield (as portrayed by Richard Armitage), in the movie trailer for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Hobbit/HobbitTrailer/album/slides/HobbitTrailer03.html
(3) Link to The Hobbit movie trailer courtesy of bccmee was found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuuZWsY3s8c&feature=player_embedded
(4) Transcript for The Hobbit movie trailer courtesy of Bccmee was found at her blog bccmee’s Richard Armitage Vids & Graphics http://fanvideos.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/the-hobbit-trailer-20-december-2011/
(5) The Hobbit – Misty Mountain Song Music video with Lyrics, video edited by Bccmee was found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xpv1CzCt5ro
(6) Image of the band of Dwarfs in Bilbo’s home, Bag End–with Thorin Oakenshield (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) far left in the RANet screen cap that was found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Hobbit/HobbitTrailer/album/slides/HobbitTrailer19.html
(7) Image of Thorin Oakenshield (as portrayed by Richard Armitage), RANet screen cap from The Hobbit movie trailer was found at http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/gallery/Hobbit/HobbitTrailer/album/slides/HobbitTrailer12.html