There has been a lot of wonderful news this week about The Hobbit filming and Thorin Oakenshield (portrayed by Richard Armitage)–and resulting posts by other bloggers, tumblrs, and twitters about it. What follows is my compendium of sorts of ten of these items just to have them handy for my benefit and yours. Enjoy!
1) Thanks to Entertainment Weekly of July 2, 2012 for providing us with more and new The Hobbit character portrait images. They are stunning! Here is the link for the online version of the Entertainment Weekly article about The Hobbit and found at http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20608420,00.html.
While thanks go to Middle Earth News that posted and shared the cover of the printed issue of the EW magazine [right] at http://news.mymiddleearth.com/2012/07/03/entertainment-weekly-has-10-new-hobbit-photos/
2) And thanks to Jas Rangoon–the “Me, My Thoughts, and Richard Armitage” blogger–who received her EW issue in the mail and scanned it in [article image at right] and posted it for everyone on Tuesday, July 3rd: http://memythoughtsandwhoknows.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/ew-hobbit-article-scans/. [Coda: And I see that DarkJackal32 also has big scans of the article on her “Heirs of Durin” web site.]
3) The new Thorin (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) portrait is the tenth image in the Entertainment Weekly article’s series of Hobbit portraits and found at http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20608420,00.html#21179608
4) Thanks to Bccmee for her snag of the new Thorin Portrait with the Entertainment Weekly watermark [left] for image referencing and also shared on her blog bccmee’s Richard Armitage Vids & Graphics on July 3rd:
5) Thanks also to Heath Dances for her snag of the Thorin portrait and her removal the EW watermark for easier graphic manip [right]:
Both of these images are provided here because:
a) You can never have too much Thorin.
b) Having both images gives we graphics dabblers (like myself) options.
c) And since Thorin is so nice, we have to see him thrice. Here is Fedoralady’s lovely interpretation of the new Thorin portrait in sepia tone [right] on her July 4th post on her blog “The Armitage Effect”.
6) And Daria GiztheGunslinger shared a lovely collage of the EW Hobbit images on her tumblr. Follow the hyperlink to see all of those images. Below is the first image in that collage:
7) And for me, RANet (www.RichardArmitageNet.com) [logo below] is my go to source for all things Richard Armitage. And the RANet Admin–a wonder woman named Ali–is especially thorough with gathering and including as much of The Hobbit news and resources as she can. Among many other Hobbit and Richard Armitage news items this week, she collected all ten of the new EW Hobbit pictures are in page 2 of the RANet Hobbit Gallery. Thanks!
At right is a fierce new close up portrait of Richard Armitage as a young Thorin Oakenshield–shared on RANet from the EW ipad article version–that shows Thorin (as portrayed by Richard Armitage) to be a Lion in Summer, not in Winter. I first coined this phrase last Summer in a comment on one of Sir Peter Jackson’s Facebook posts–and with The Hobbit release looking on the horizon, I imagine that I will get more use out of it. Ha! And I must point out that this portrait seems to be one with Richard Armitage’s actual aquiline roman nose, rather than the more enhanced Thorin nose version that we see later in filming for Thorin images. So might these younger looking poses of Thorin be from flashback sequences to Thorin’s youth–that I am only speculating might be in The Hobbit–when the chain of events that serve as a catalyst for Thorin’s quest in The Hobbit was set in motion? Hmmmm.
8) Pondering what the young Thorin had to endure, Mulubinba shares on her blog July 1 a reaction to Richard Armitage’s quote that he felt that Thorin was “paranoid”. Mulubinba weaves elements of Thorin’s background to help illuminate the answer for us all.
9) Here also is a lovely new Thorin wallpaper by Angelfish [right] showing one of the new Thorin images in miniature–just above the sword Orchrist’s hilt–and also shared on RANet (www.RichardArmitageNet.com).
10) And the piece de resistance is Bccmee’s exquisitely stunning Thorin Oakenshield and Orchrist Wallpaper (below) that she shared on Tuesday, July 3rd on her blog “Bccmee’s Richard Armitage Vids and Graphics” with a fascinating annotation as to how she created the image that is found at http://fanvideos.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bccmeethorin1.jpg and Bccmee also shared her Thorin wallpaper on RANet:
P.S. I will stop with ten items–although, they are subdivided into more parts. Ha! There may be other posts and graphics and such that I come across after I build this post. So, I will try to include them in an upcoming Thorin Thursday post on a future Thursday.