Lately, I’ve been having things on the side—by which I mean some of the following examples:
1) salad dressing, meat (mock in my vegetarian case), or dessert (definitely), to be added later;
2) additional professional or community service commitments that expand my responsibilities, but lessen my free time for writing and social media; and,
3) personal cheer boosters that make my days just a little bit more pleasant—including, but not limited to, my admiration of the exquisitely talented British Actor Richard Armitage;
But to begin with, it all starts with us. We have to be true to ourselves, advocate for ourselves, surround ourselves with positive people and energies, and above all, we have to like/love ourselves—no matter what. I found this Marilyn Monroe quote (below) in a search and loved it!
1) Back to Food—doing well there. I’m ova lacto vegetarian (eating eggs, dairy, & fish), counting my carbs/calories, and still managing to have a little dessert. I know that 9 Hershey’s chocolate candy kisses are 25 g of carbs and 200 calories. So I apportion as needed. Gardein brand and here (logo right via Wiki) (which I mostly find at our local Schnuck’s grocery store) Chick’n Scallopini (4 filets per pkg, LOVE these in noodles, in stir fry, on pizzas, etc.!) and mock meatballs are great—as are Boca brand mock burger patties and mock sausage links. And I eat a lot of salad, vegetables, and fruit. However, I have also fallen in love with oatmeal raisin cookies as a fiber booster. And popping raisins on their own is great. But watch out! Those little raisins will raise your blood sugar count when taken an hour before you normal test. Ha!
2) State Higher Education funding is a tough nut these days—especially when one’s state’s dwindling financial support is delayed nine months or more due to political wrangling by the governor. Some state higher education institutions are asking employees to take forced furloughs without pay, or asking employees to turn in their keys now before the semester ends, for an indefinite furlough until the state starts funding things again. Yikes! And yet, the extremely frugal nature of our university and our academic department where I am the Business Manager means that we tighten our belts even further in the hope of keeping the doors open and the lights on. And though I have the right to take my overtime as overtime pay at 1.5 times my hourly rate, I will probably instead start taking comp time (at 1.5 times) to use as flex for vacation or sick leave at a future time. But at least now, my overtime hours are recognized formally and not just lost in the ether—as were the 200+ hours of overtime I had put in before my employer switched to a new payroll system. And to further help our family income in a small but meaningful way, my dear sweet hubby is working overtime on Saturday mornings with his employer—for pay. The extra money a month helps cover my health co-pays, if nothing else. And for community service, we had a productive meeting Thursday night and we have decided upon the junior women’s community awards from a privately funded local social justice agency that gives micro funding to help give women partial support recareering and special professional growth projects.
3) And as to my personal cheer boosters, nothing is more welcome than my finally being well enough to be off crutches after having been on them three weeks from my latest bad fall—I slipped at home, falling onto my right side, banging my right knee quite severely. My right knee is going to have to be replaced anyway sometime soon due to it dislocating (painfully popping out of joint) on me all the time–and I can only be lucky so much in not getting broken bones lately. And with being off the crutches, I’m hoping to get back to my physical therapy for improving my overall strength. And then with regard to my eyes, the doctors are going to try a new stem cell treatment (from placentas donated from living babies) this coming week. This new treatment has shown promise in not only healing eye ulceration flareups, but also in keeping future wound infections at bay. It’s not a cure, and has to be repeated at several month intervals. But fingers crossed!
My husband and doggies come next as my cheer boosters. My hubby is working overtime this morning, but when the dear man comes home we will spend meaningful time together. He is like the Rod Stewart song goes (below), my lover and my best friend. And he is wonderfully solicitous and caring of me when I’m having a health challenge—as I am of him. I am very blessed! And our younger (4yrs) and smaller (23 pounds) beagle doggie (right at 9 pounds and 4 months) is sleeping contentedly next to me on the couch as I write this. Our older and bigger (59 pounds) hound doggie has claimed my hubby’s usual chair to nap in. All is quiet now—but for the howling wind outside which weather predictions say might get up to as high as 50 mph. Yikes!
And then there is the charming, gorgeous, talented, socially conscious and philanthropic Richard Armitage (right from 2013, at RANet)—his projects, my fellow fans, and as my muse for my writings. I can’t say enough about the creative and support outlet that this participation brings me. Richard Armitage is my story writing muse and I enjoy writing and sharing my stories with you here on my blog and on my Wattpad site. Currently, I’ve been ruminating about my chapter for Monday for my original romance “Love in the Great Pine Woods”, and I will write it this weekend. And I am also an avid reader—my having bought a new story for my Kindle for PC yesterday that is part of a series of related stories that I am reading.
So though my life might have elements on the side (or a la carte!)—that are challenging, enriching, or fun, etc.—I feel very blessed. That is not to say that there are not real hardships or worries in my life. But I try to keep them in perspective, as I think about my friends near and far who are experiencing far worse troubles or worries. Therefore, I’m sending healing and positive thoughts of love your and their way. So fold your arms around you, and this is a hug from me. Repeat as wanted. Love & Hugs! Grati ;->